Games & SD Card

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
Maziac

Games & SD Card

Post by Maziac » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:47 am

Hi,

I don't got any ZX Next HW yet, so maybe this question is a little dumb. Please forgive.

There are some games out (like Dungeonette) and physically sold. I guess those come on an SD card.

How is the SD Card handling if such a game is started?

The ZX Next has one SD Card slot as far as I can see. This SD card need to be inserted to boot from and load the Next OS etc.

If I now would like to start a game how does it work? Do I pull out the Boot SD Card and plug in the game's SD Card?

Or should I copy the game's folder first on the Boot SD card and start the game from here?

Timbucus

Re: Games & SD Card

Post by Timbucus » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:22 am

The games have a copy of the minimum OS needed to boot (often older but, obviously good enough for that game) so you can just power on with them in and they go straight into the game. In the case of Adrian's games they all assume HDMI timing. For convenience (or if you want to use a different timing maybe for SCART and not modify the original card) you can copy the game files to your main card if you wish. I do that both to have a backup and as I normally use VGA on my desk and the display is better on VGA timing 2 - if I put the Next on my big TV I just boot from the original card so it looks its best on HDMI - Simples. In my case I actually copy it to my second micro SD (D: drive) as I have soldered the extra reader on mine under the board. That means whichever boot card I use (as I keep a few for testing and different displays) most things I want are available.
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

Maziac

Post by Maziac » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:02 pm

OK, I understand.

That minimum OS what is this exactly?

Alcoholics Anonymous

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:21 am

Maziac wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:02 pm
That minimum OS what is this exactly?
The contents of the sd card ( https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue ) minus unrelated things. So TBBLUE.FW, tbblue dir and much of the nextzxos dir.

A TBBLUE.FW will always be needed since the fpga contains z80 code that the z80 will run at power up that will load from that file. But in the future you will be able to create your own that does something custom at power up which might be suitable for individual programs distributed on sd card.

Maziac

Post by Maziac » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:02 am

Thanks.

EtchedPixels

Post by EtchedPixels » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:38 pm

Unfortunately the licensing

https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue/bl ... LICENSE.md

contains a long list of restrictions such as

'Furthermore you cannot charge a duplication fee.'

So you can't sell games on it because the minimum OS needed to boot can't be on your SD card and if my fee includes the copying cost of putting the required files on the SD card so you can boot it - I'm breaking the copyright. Likewise for the ROM images and half a dozen other things. If I wanted to distribute something ready to boot I'd have to require the user did various gymnastics with a PC to make a new SD card.

That's the kind of dumb mess that stops people releasing stuff.

Someone needs to put together a precise minimal set of files with a sane notice permitted them to be reproduced as part of a product for the ZX Next.

Alan

varmfskii

Post by varmfskii » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:00 pm

Software Amusements has been distributing games on bootable SD cards.

https://www.softwareamusements.com/Spec ... index.html

Reading the licensing restrictions, I can't see how they are in violation.

They are selling the games, and giving away the necessary portion of the tbblue distribution for free.
Backer #2741 - TS2068, Byte, ZX Evolution

EtchedPixels

Post by EtchedPixels » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:11 pm

I would be most entertained to see that discussion happen with a lawyer. The whole business of 'but we aren't charging for this bit' is fraught with interesting problems.

Then there is

All software parts of this Distribution are considered automatically
"Closed Source"/"Further distribution denied" individually if they are NOT
accompanied by a license

So at the very least anyone has to do a detailed audit of every component.

I think I know what the intent is, but it would be nice if the actual rights holders had a standard sane 'you can put this list of components on the SD media with the software providing you are not charging for the said components' statement somewhere.

seedy1812

Post by seedy1812 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:23 pm

EtchedPixels wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:38 pm
Unfortunately the licensing

https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue/bl ... LICENSE.md

contains a long list of restrictions such as

'Furthermore you cannot charge a duplication fee.'

So you can't sell games on it because the minimum OS needed to boot can't be on your SD card and if my fee includes the copying cost of putting the required files on the SD card so you can boot it - I'm breaking the copyright. Likewise for the ROM images and half a dozen other things. If I wanted to distribute something ready to boot I'd have to require the user did various gymnastics with a PC to make a new SD card.

That's the kind of dumb mess that stops people releasing stuff.

Someone needs to put together a precise minimal set of files with a sane notice permitted them to be reproduced as part of a product for the ZX Next.

Alan
No. Easy answer is don't have a charge to duplicate the OS. You got it for free, pass the love on , copy it for free.

EtchedPixels

Post by EtchedPixels » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:44 pm

What part of 'further distribution denied' are you having trouble understanding ?

It's a real issue that ought to be cleaned up when someone gets a moment, just to define exactly what you can put on the SD card so everyone can be happy.