Joystick for Spectrum Next

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
Ambrosini

Joystick for Spectrum Next

Postby Ambrosini » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:38 pm

Hi,
can you show me on Amazon a joystick that works directly on Spectrum Next?

...thanks

DanyPPC

Re: Joystick for Spectrum Next

Postby DanyPPC » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:55 am

Active Consult (https://store.activeconsult.co.uk/) has many.

Megadrive (Genesis) gamepad are also supported.

Centurion

Postby Centurion » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:59 am

I have used vintage Atari sticks, the Hyperkin "Trooper" stick and also the 8bitdo wireless Genesis controller all with good luck.
ZX Spectrum Next Backer №1,104 / ZX Spectrum Harlequin Rev. G owner / USA ZX Spectrum enthusiast

SmurfDaddy

Postby SmurfDaddy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:59 pm

I got these new from china.

https://retroradionics.co.uk/#!/ArcadeR ... category=0

Took a bit to get here, but they are fine and robust.

Eratosthenes

Postby Eratosthenes » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:52 am

Does anybody of you know the Competition Pro Mini?
CompetitionProMini.jpg
CompetitionProMini.jpg (214.78 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
It's the one in the back. - Even though I have bigger hands, I really like it. It works fine for me...
The SpeedLink is the same size as the original Competition Pro is.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:41 am

There is one compelling reason to choose a sega md pad :- in recent cores, the buttons can be assigned to keys on the keyboard. That means you can control 11 keyboard keys from the controller. This will also work with traditional joysticks but they only have 5 or 6 buttons.

In io mode where one joystick port may be taken as, eg, a uart or midi interface, md pads will stop working in the other port but traditional joysticks will continue to work as kempston from the other joystick port. This is because pin7 is normally the select signal in the sega algorithm and in io mode the pin is used for other things.

I also suspect powered joysticks that take +5V from the wrong pin (pin7 as on atari interfaces instead of pin5) may not continue to work and may not work at all on KS2 machines. These things typically use +5 to generate an auto-fire feature and the increased toggling frequency of pin7 may affect whether the fire is properly asserted on KS1 machines. The only way to know is to try them out. In KS2 machines there's going to be a series resistance in the pin7 line which may not suit as a power source for these types of joysticks. The fix would be changing the wiring inside to take +5 from pin5 instead of pin7.

spikejohnc

Postby spikejohnc » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:56 am

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:41 am
There is one compelling reason to choose a sega md pad :- in recent cores, the buttons can be assigned to keys on the keyboard. That means you can control 11 keyboard keys from the controller.
That sounds awesome. How do we get hold of these cores ? I've only ever updated mine using the official 'latest' core on the Specnext website and that dates back to March (unless I'm looking in the wrong place ?).

Ped7g

Postby Ped7g » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:34 am

yes, the web has distro "1.3.2" with core 3.1.5 as latest, that's is still the "latest" for regular users who don't want to beta-test stuff, but just get stable release.

For testing the newer cores are available at official git repositories:
https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue/ (full distro)
https://gitlab.com/SpectrumNext/ZX_Spectrum_Next_FPGA (just core, even ahead of distro gitlab)

This will become distro "1.4" for specnext web, once everything will be stable and well tested (the 1.4 distro almost happened already, but the core 3.1.8 was found a bit unstable in some situations, so not yet) The keyboard-joysticks are new feature of 3.1.10, IIRC? You can check commit logs on the FPGA git to see how it is progressing and what changes are done.

spikejohnc

Postby spikejohnc » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:51 am

Ah, ok thanks. I'm not much of a techie so I think I'll wait for the official distro, I don't want to mess up my Next by mistake !

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:25 am

Yes, the last public distro is based on 3.01.05. The gitlab version is 3.01.08 (the n-go is using this). The current development version is 3.01.10 and this is where the keyboard joystick is. It's not available publicly anywhere yet.