Wireless controller option - will this work?

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
AndyCalling

Wireless controller option - will this work?

Postby AndyCalling » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:24 am

OK, so I like the look of the 8bitdo M30 controller for my Next when it arrives. I can't get the version for the original Genesis (not the mini) at the moment which I believe is the right one to get. I'm not sure it's made anymore as the manufacturer doesn't show it on their website anymore.

Now the do make a Windows version which uses Bluetooth:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MSN1NPC/ ... GFbES7F8B3

And interestingly this is also available from another manufacturer:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MSN1NPC/ ... GFbES7F8B3

This dongle looks like it would support a range of controller options and would be very flexible. Better than a dedicated M30.

There is a cheaper option that might be as good:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MSWGSJY/ ... GFb8NB53VE

So, I have three questions for you knowledgeable folks here. Firstly, am I right in thinking this would work on the SpeccyNext? Secondly I believe the Next can support 3 buttons on some controllers. Would these controllers support the the full 3 buttons? Thirdly, which of the dongles I posted links to would you get? Do you think they would both work similarly?

I will be ordering two each of these controllers and dongles if this is a viable option. What do you folks think?

Centurion

Re: Wireless controller option - will this work?

Postby Centurion » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:42 am

Hi Andy,

Happy to help you out. I have been using the 8BitDo M30 2.4G Genesis/Megadrive controller on the Next without any issues at all. Works great!

It's still available on Amazon here in the states, but unsure about UK:
8BitDo_M30_2.4G.jpg
8BitDo_M30_2.4G.jpg (61.15 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
This acts as if you have a Genesis/Megadrive controller connected to the Next and the Next has settings which allow for this controller type and you can take advantage of the 3 buttons. I've tried it with Castlevania Spectral Interlude which can use 2 buttons if using a Gen/Mega controller and it works fine.

So for example. When in the Spectrum Next menu selections... A = UP, B = Select, C = Back, IIRC.

I like how the M30 2.4G has the small receiver, which makes it really non-intrusive to keep connected. To pair, it's super easy. You just hit the Start button on the controller and turn the Next on and it pairs instantly. Also this version of the M30 includes the receiver, which the Bluetooth version does not. And, if you can find it, is quite friendly on the budget. I paid $25 shipped for mine in the states.

I also have one of the Genesis/Megadrive Retro Receivers, which you linked and just tested it using an 8BitDo SF30 Pro in the Next and it worked fine as well. It was a bit more challenging to pair at first. I realized I had to hold down the B + Start to enter pairing mode, but once paired, worked great too.

So with the 8BitDo products, you do have some really nice options. If you get only the Retro Receivers, you might be able to use various controllers(like you mentioned), but also a bit more pricey, if you take into account purchasing compatible controllers.

I have heard people say that the M30 2.4G controllers might have slightly better response time, but I haven't used the Bluetooth enough to know how much. First impressions felt the same to me.

If you've never used an 8BitDo controller, I'll tell you they are made very well. Sturdy, good quality plastics, nice weight, etc. I have a few and love them all.

Also, your first two links are the same, so I'm not sure which other controller you were asking about, but hope the info above helps you out!

Cheers
ZX Spectrum Next Backer №1,104 / ZX Spectrum Harlequin Rev. G owner / USA ZX Spectrum enthusiast

dave18

Postby dave18 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:31 am

I bought 2 of the 2.4g version from eBay as I couldn't get them from amazon in the UK. I used this seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353117372997 and they arrived in a reasonable time and are genuine as far as I can tell. They come with the dongle and pair easily with just the start button.

AndyCalling

Postby AndyCalling » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:25 pm

Thanks everyone, you've been very helpful.

Zxspooks

Postby Zxspooks » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:28 pm

dave18 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:31 am
I bought 2 of the 2.4g version from eBay as I couldn't get them from amazon in the UK. I used this seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353117372997 and they arrived in a reasonable time and are genuine as far as I can tell. They come with the dongle and pair easily with just the start button.
Hi,
I have one of these and they work great very responsive, I am thinking of buying another for two player games on my next, do you have any issues if you have both joystick ports connected ie Bluetooth frequency's clash or do they work independently with their own supplied dongles?
Thanks in advance :)

Ped7g

Postby Ped7g » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:10 pm

I have two 2.4g ones (not bluetooth) (bought from eBay from some China based seller-of-all-sorts-of-stuff - worked like a charm), and I have no issue to pair them correctly and use them as MD1/MD2 on the Next.

I did run into some issues while trying to make them work, like the manual saying to pair press "mode" button while it is "start" button, or thinking the next-test factory tool would config the joystick ports to MD automatically, which made me to write down my notes:

https://wiki.specnext.dev/M30_8BitDo_wi ... aDrive_pad

Zxspooks

Postby Zxspooks » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:42 pm

Ped7g wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:10 pm
I have two 2.4g ones (not bluetooth) (bought from eBay from some China based seller-of-all-sorts-of-stuff - worked like a charm), and I have no issue to pair them correctly and use them as MD1/MD2 on the Next.

I did run into some issues while trying to make them work, like the manual saying to pair press "mode" button while it is "start" button, or thinking the next-test factory tool would config the joystick ports to MD automatically, which made me to write down my notes:

https://wiki.specnext.dev/M30_8BitDo_wi ... aDrive_pad
Thank you ill order another one.

spikejohnc

Postby spikejohnc » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:18 pm

I got the M30 2.4g version and as a controller it's great, but a word of warning - the dongle doesn't fit in the joystick port properly, it's a bit loose. I've tried it in both ports and it makes no difference. So sometimes I have to fiddle with it until it works, seems to be that if I prop it up a bit with something then it's ok. FYI - I also have my trusty old 35 year old Cheetah joystick and that fits both joystick ports perfectly so it's not the ports on the Next that are the problem. I've mentioned this on the Next facebook group and it seems that several other people have this problem. When it works it's brilliant, but when it drops out even slightly and one of the directions (usually 'down') stops working it's frustrating to say the least.

dave18

Postby dave18 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:42 pm

Hmm, I have the opposite experience in that they are too tight. I had to make a judgement call on how far to push them in to avoid risking damage to the ports. They don't go all the way in but they are in tight (any movement is the connector to the board) and they function just fine.

dave18

Postby dave18 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:43 pm

If yours are genuinely loose, I'd suggest wrapping some electrical tape round the connector to get a snug fit.