Wireless controller option - will this work?

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
Zxspooks

Re: Wireless controller option - will this work?

Postby Zxspooks » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:32 pm

dave18 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:42 pm
Hmm, I have the opposite experience in that they are too tight. I had to make a judgement call on how far to push them in to avoid risking damage to the ports. They don't go all the way in but they are in tight (any movement is the connector to the board) and they function just fine.
Hi, I have two and both of mine are quite tight too, I didn't force them into the socket in case I damaged the boards connections, just gently wiggled them in as far as I dare and they work fine.

Ped7g

Postby Ped7g » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 pm

Both of mine M30 2.4g were very difficult to fit into the ports, very very tight (I was almost considering to take some sandpaper and brush them a bit).

Also I was not sure how deep they should go, and because of my wrong config of the ports causing the controls to appear malfunctioning (button C as "up"), I was at first suspecting they are not deep enough and put lot of strain into the board, so I hope it's not damaged...

So it looks like they could be different fit based? Or the ports on the Next are different? I guess we can't find out easily.

But thanks for letting us know they can be also loose.

dave18

Postby dave18 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:56 pm

@Ped7g the solder on those ports provide a decent amount of strength (it's amazing when desoldering how little solder can grip a component tight) , you'd probably have to consciously abuse it by really forcing it in to cause damage.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:35 am

If not in an md pad mode, the button C will appear as a jump (up). This was requested by someone some time ago.

alanspec

Postby alanspec » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:05 pm

I've got 2 joysticks on the go - one is a new Monster joystick: https://monsterjoysticks.com/plywood-ba ... cherry-red - can't recommend it enough - it's a really good stick for the next.
It is really really tight fitting but as dave18 says the connectors on the Next are totally able to take the force needed to get it wiggled in.

My other stick is an old powerplay cruiser in Fisher Price colours - and loose fitting is an understatement. I'm gonna replace the lead/DB9 to stop it being so temperamental. A slight breeze and it looses connection.

dave18

Postby dave18 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:18 am

These extension leads from active consult might be a good solution. https://store.activeconsult.co.uk/shop/ ... sion-cable

spikejohnc

Postby spikejohnc » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:05 am

dave18 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:43 pm
If yours are genuinely loose, I'd suggest wrapping some electrical tape round the connector to get a snug fit.
I finally got around to trying this and unfortunately it didn't make any difference. I've now realised that the problem is that the dongle doesn't seem to go fully into the socket for some reason (I compared it to my Cheetah joystick which does go fully in and is a nice snug fit), and because of this it's as though some of the 'pins' are not connecting ? The only way I can get it to work is by using the cord of my Cheetah (in port 2) to sit under the dongle which supports and lifts it slightly. Not ideal obviously, and even then I'll be playing a game and suddenly the fire button or one of the directions won't work (because the Cheetah cable moves slightly) and I'm back to fiddling with it again. Very frustrating and because I bought it about 6 months ago from the USA I can't send it back. I might just take a gamble and buy another one if they reappear on Amazon. Strangely the one I have fits perfectly in my Megadrive Flashback.

dave18

Postby dave18 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:41 am

Sounds like it is not fully in, as we've said before you have to be a bit brave to wiggle them in far enough . If you don't want to risk the socket on the next then get an extension cable, plug the dongle into the cable firmly (little damage you can do here) and the the cable into the next.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:29 am

My M30 2.4g also sits loosely in there -- I didn't try to force it in but it does maintain contact all the time.

spikejohnc

Postby spikejohnc » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:53 pm

dave18 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:41 am
Sounds like it is not fully in, as we've said before you have to be a bit brave to wiggle them in far enough . If you don't want to risk the socket on the next then get an extension cable, plug the dongle into the cable firmly (little damage you can do here) and the the cable into the next.
Too scared of breaking the socket ! I think I'll give these a try ;

https://store.activeconsult.co.uk/shop/ ... protectors