No signal using HDMI to DVI-D

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
iss05e

No signal using HDMI to DVI-D

Postby iss05e » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Hi all,

I recently aquired a Sony SDM-X93 monitor with built-in speakers and DVI-D input. It looks like this:
sdm-x93.jpg
Sony SDM-X93
sdm-x93.jpg (23.08 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
I thought that this would be ideal for the Next, so have connected to it using a HDMI cable and HDMI to DVI adapter. Unfortunately, the monitor just displays "no signal". It has a VGA input, and connecting with a VGA cable works fine.

When I have connected to a modern Philips monitor using the HDMI cable and DVI adapter, it works fine.

I have tried different HDMI cables and a HDMI to DVI cable, but still no luck. I have tested the DVI input on the monitor by connecting a laptop to it, using the HDMI out of the laptop - and it displays an image no problem.

I know that there are issues with some devices not being able to display HDMI through DVI due to HDCP, and that this can be remedied by using a HDMI splitter that removes the HDCP signal.

The Sony monitor supports DVI Rev. 1.0 according to the manual.

Does anyone know if the Next utilises HDCP on the HDMI signal?
Has anyone else tried the Next on an older monitor with DVI-D input?

I could use the VGA connector, but was ideally after the best quality image.

I used my original 48K Spectrum on a 26-inch black and white TV via RF input, so I guess I shouldn't complain! :lol:

Regards,
Paul

Timbucus

Re: No signal using HDMI to DVI-D

Postby Timbucus » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:32 pm

I have never been able to get a signal through a HDMI to DVI connector on my monitors with the Next. I use the VGA on mine as it syncs on VGA 1 - my other does on VGA 0 which is the best as you will have 100% Spectrum speed accuracy. I do not really notice much of a display quality difference and actually like the warmer retro feel.
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

iss05e

Postby iss05e » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:45 pm

It's a shame because there's so many 4:3 monitors out there with DVI-D. I wonder if it's something that may be supported with a future firmware release, or if it's a limitation of the hardware.

Anyway, VGA will be good enough!

AndyCalling

Postby AndyCalling » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:15 am

VGA is the very best choice for perfect timings. You will want speakers too though, or if the monitor has speakers though, you'll need an appropriate audio cable.

iss05e

Postby iss05e » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:53 am

Yes, the monitor has 3.5mm stereo input which I hooked up to the EAR socket on the Next, and that works fine.

Eratosthenes

Postby Eratosthenes » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:37 am

From my experience VGA on many LCD Monitors isn't the best choice. :(

Several of my monitors do have issues syncing the signal. Others do not store the horzontal- or vertical position of the analogue signal. If possible I'm using the digital input (HDMI- or DVI) as I don't have to recalibrate the screen any time I'm switching on the Monitor.

By the way: Using really good monitors like Eizo or so using VGA is no issue. Having nonames like my tiny "NEEWER" (what ever brand this is) or some of my older 4:3 monitors it's impossible to use VGA.

As I don't play games I don't need the perfect timing without any latency. As no display panel is pixel perfect for the Next no flat screen is 100% perfect.

The best results I've had using LCDs is using 15kHz SCART plugs on old 4:3 TV sets. HDMI has the 2nd best look and VGA's timing is - same as 15kHz SCART better as HDMI as long as the VGA screen supports 50Hz.

So except of CRT monitors nothing is 100% (pixel-) perfect.

And, to be honest, as I'm using LCD's for the last two- or three decades, I definitely will not return to the flickering CRT's... ;->

P.S.: The by far best picture on an LCD Monitor I personally have on a 24" Lenovo WQHD monitor.
1440p in combination with the HDMI signal of the Next is the best you can get on a flatscreen. I don't think a 4k panel will look better.
I can add some high resolution screenshots (using a really good camera) as reference if wanted.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:14 am

I don't know if the fact the hdmi signal contains audio will affect a DVI receiver. Maybe it's something to try later on. There is a nextreg bit to disable audio over hdmi but all that does is set volume to zero rather than stopping to send audio packets.

iss05e

Postby iss05e » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:10 am

Hi guys - thanks for your thoughts. I've tried my Next on Samsung and LG monitors using HDMI -> DVI-D and it worked fine and the picture was excellent.

The older Sony monitor just will not pick any signal up using HDMI -> DVI-D. I've tested my laptop on it using HDMI -> DVI-D and it worked fine, so I know the input on the monitor is not faulty.

I wonder if the Next outputs HDCP over HDMI, and my monitor just can't perform the handshake because it's too old.

Ped7g

Postby Ped7g » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:35 pm

no, it's the other way around, Next does produce digital video signal (DVI), with borrowing parts of hdmi extensions to add audio packets along, so I'm not sure if it does even fit description as 100% HDMI, maybe not, and definitely not encryption stuff.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:33 pm

Yes that's right. The Next is producing a dvi signal but with audio packets included. hdmi is a superset of dvi where they extended it for more resolutions, audio and now have things like edid and hdcp. The Next is only putting out 576p / 480p and that's it.

I think it's looking like having the audio packets in there is confusing dvi receivers if they don't also support hdmi. So I will try removing the audio packets when hdmi audio is turned off via nextreg. We can give it a go again when that's done but it won't likely be for a couple months yet. hdmi is getting another look from scratch to try to solve the spectrum video timing issues.