I would like to buy the ZX Spectrum Next

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
xboxown

I would like to buy the ZX Spectrum Next

Postby xboxown » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:53 am

The ZX Spectrum Next is awesome console to enjoy. I would like to buy it. But they are out of stock. When will they be available? I do not want the expand edition.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Re: I would like to buy the ZX Spectrum Next

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:32 pm

Nexts are only built in batches because we need a minimum volume of at least ~1000 machines to make the costs reasonable. We're currently building the KS2 batch which will hopefully ship in August. I don't know if there is going to be another KS after this one.

Some extra machines are built in case there are faults and these will eventually show up in the store in limited quantities sometime after shipping is completed. But the numbers will be small and may disappear fast.

Besides that there is ebay. I expect there will be many more machines on ebay after the KS2 is completed.

If you are not concerned about the case there are other options. The bare board ngo is an issue 2B board clone with all the same features. The Next core has also been ported to some other fpga machines; sometimes some secondary features are not supported so take a look at that if that matters.

xboxown

Postby xboxown » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:01 pm

Thanks! :( I am disappointed because I wanted it all..the package, manual, exclusive titles and that sexy zx spectrum next!!! :(

bix66

Postby bix66 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:28 pm

Hi, I align with what xboxown says.
I have nothing against the N-GO, but wouldn't it be better to start testing the ground to be able to put another batch of ZX Spectrum Next into production?
In my opinion, 1000 copies take them out in 10 seconds.
I would buy it immediately! It's a product that I find fantastic and I don't want to find it on ebay for 1000 euros! It's not right.

AndyCalling

Postby AndyCalling » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:48 pm

I managed to score a KS2 reservation which is great for me, but the more Next boxes out there the better for the whole community so we all have a vested interest in spreading the word. I really hope there's enough interest for a KS3.

However if KS3 doesn't come off, I wonder if the project might be able to offer the case with keyboard? It should be simpler to run a Kickstarter for that than the whole machine, and ideal to put an N-Go in. A copy of the manual could also be included.

Just thinking of ways to get more Nexts in to people's hands.

FranticOrange

Postby FranticOrange » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:29 am

Just adding support for a potential KS3 - I'd definitely support this.

funkheld

Postby funkheld » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:45 am

Why shouldn't they offer the Next on ebay for 1000 euros?
It is a fundamental freedom in a democracy.
Those who are stupid buy, those who are smart don't buy and take the N-Go, which is 100% compatible to play with, and enjoys the past years of Spectrum.

FranticOrange

Postby FranticOrange » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:04 am

Personally, I'd prefer to go for a Next mainly due to the look and style of the case being really appealing to me, as well as to show support for the team. I realise that I'd be paying more for a pre-assembled accelerated version but to each their own I guess.

ntzx

Postby ntzx » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:36 am

I've signed up the forums purely to say that I can't wait to be order a Next (expanded ideally) and would likely take 2.

Surely you can easily sell bigger batches? I kept missing the initial ones but am trying to check back frequently so that doesn't happen again.

I've even bought Xeno Brigade physical copy which is sitting all lonely here!!

MoonMan

Postby MoonMan » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:44 am

I've also signed up to say I'd buy a Spectrum Next, literally within a nanoseconds if any become available. Actually I'd probably buy three or four, or even more to gift them to friends as well. I'd also like a spare for myself.

Worthwhile noting that it took a week before my account was activated after registering.

Listen, it's great what you guys are doing and the fact that you're too busy to activate/respond to new accounts is testament to this.

I agree wholeheartedly with the posts on this thread. With KS3, I believe you can afford to take the risk and bump up the batch considerably. Actually it would hardly be a risk, as many people know about it now.

I would also expect there to be an increase in price too with KS3.

A little more marketing aimed at 'middle-aged men plus' wouldn't go amiss? I love the Spectrum but only found this website because I looked for it. Ideally, I would have stumbled across it.