DivMMC in the development version

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
slingshot

DivMMC in the development version

Postby slingshot » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:47 pm

I have a strange issue with my port. I'm using master branch from gitlab, and seems the esxmmc.bin is not "flashed". It's enabled and the file is found by the OS (if I remove, the booting stops with an error), however there's no ESXDOS boot screen, nor the NMI browser come in (NMI -> reset). Is this known?

DanyPPC

Re: DivMMC in the development version

Postby DanyPPC » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:08 pm

Are you going to port it to ZX Next MiST core ?

On ZX Next ESXDOS works only with other machines selectable at boot with SPACE key.
Obviusly EsxDos must be installed on SD Card.
One of the three key on ZX Next acts as "NMI" key to select file to load including TRD dos games.

I tested tomorrow that on the ZX Next Core on MiSTICA but it fails to load ESXMMC Rom at boot.
I don't know if this is due to Core limits.

Thanks for your effort.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:33 pm

slingshot wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:47 pm
I have a strange issue with my port. I'm using master branch from gitlab, and seems the esxmmc.bin is not "flashed". It's enabled and the file is found by the OS (if I remove, the booting stops with an error), however there's no ESXDOS boot screen, nor the NMI browser come in (NMI -> reset). Is this known?
Is this for starting a different "personality", ie, after holding down space after boot? The personalities are still the Next core but the core is configured to turn off various bits of hardware and load up different ROMs. The normal Next machine selection ignores the settings as what a Next is is well defined.

The personalities are listed in machines/next/menu.def

You can add or edit a line to a personality to load up esxdos on boot:

menu=Pentagon (128k),3,8,128.rom,esxmmc.bin,<none>

It is possible the firmware will ignore the divmmc selection if the file is missing from the menu line. If so that is a bug but I have always done it via the menu line myself.

There are two nmi buttons. The drive=divmmc=F12 button is attached to the divmmc hardware. Esxdos will be using the drive button. The m1=multiface=F11 button is attached to the multiface. On the Next, the divmmc and multiface have been made compatible so they can both be enabled at the same time. The <none> spot on the menu line above is for specifying a multiface rom. If there is no multiface, the multiface nmi button should do nothing.

About 3.01.10: the divmmc and multiface have been enhanced. I think the divmmc will continue to work as normal under old firmware but the multiface requires the new firmware to set the multiface version.

If you'd like to test with the current nextzxos for 3.01.10, let me know. The public will only have the version for 3.01.05 (last release) or 3.01.08 (gitlab) however, until 3.01.10 is complete.

slingshot

Postby slingshot » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:47 pm

Yeah, I know it's only useful for 128k or 48k modes. It surely finds the ESXMMC.BIN, since it doesn't error out at boot. I'm using the same SD Card on a real machine, too, so the /SYS, /BIN, /TMP must be OK. Looks like the .BIN is not "flashed". I'll try the menu line.

Well, I had no luck with this:
menu=ZX Spectrum 48K,0,8,48.rom,esxmmc.bin,<none>

I would happily test the new NextOS.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:04 pm

Yes I was going to mention you need BIN, SYS (merge it with what is there) in root and esxmmc.bin in machines/next from the esxdos distribution. I am testing with the latest one 0.8.8.

My menu line is this:

menu=Pentagon (128k),3,1,128.rom,esxmmc.bin

The "1" is putting it into VGA-1 as my monitor can't sync to 48Hz. You can leave it at 8 (use the default selection) but this is probably all ignored by the port anyway.

You might have to rename esxmmc.bin to esxmmc.rom for an older version of nextzxos, maybe that is worth a try.

Anyway I just tried it on the real hardware to make sure 3.01.10 is coming up with esxdos and it is but I am using the newest dev fw.

EDIT: Older fw may not have a menu.def either -- it may be in the config.ini file. If you can place that menu line where the others are and you see it as a selection when pressing space on boot, then it will be in the right place.

slingshot

Postby slingshot » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:11 pm

If I rename, then I get:
"esxmmc.bin...unable to open!"

So probably need the new OS...or I don't know.
(The video mode is not ignored, only the scandoubler part - MiST doesn't rescale the video).

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:27 pm

You can grab an almost bare nextzxos install for 3.01.10 here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yOGte_ ... sp=sharing

I'll leave it up for a bit until you've had a chance to grab it.

It contains esxdos 0.8.8 (bad because there is copyright material there) and I left in RAMS (bad because of arcade roms) so I won't leave it up for long.

Known issues:

* divmmc nmi button can crash nextzxos while writing basic
* error registration for dot commands is broken (try pressing break from .ls -alR)
* enter keypress is being delivered to programs started from the tap menu so they may start immediately after loading

slingshot

Postby slingshot » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:31 pm

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:27 pm
You can grab an almost bare nextzxos install for 3.01.10 here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yOGte_ ... sp=sharing

I'll leave it up for a bit until you've had a chance to grab it.
Thanks, I got it!
I'll try ASAP.

slingshot

Postby slingshot » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:42 pm

Wow! This one works. And has a nice MiST logo :)

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:49 pm

Awesome, so the old fw may not be good enough for the new core.