mClassic

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
spikejohnc

mClassic

Postby spikejohnc » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:53 am

Apologies if this is a daft question, I don't know tech stuff !

I've seen a gadget called the mClassic which is basically an upscaler that improves the picture and graphics of gaming consoles and is compatible with anything that can output HDMI at a minimum of 480p. I know it will work with the Wii, so I've dug that out of the cupboard and dusted it off and I'm hoping it might work with my Mega Drive Flashback which outputs at 780p, even though the original Mega Drive didn't. It apparently works best on 3D style games as it smooths out jagged lines etc, so at the very least it will improve my Wii games.

So I was wondering if it would have any effect on the Next, has anyone tried it or are there any techies out there who could offer an opinion ? Or is the output of the Next too low spec to make any difference ?

Alcoholics Anonymous

Re: mClassic

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 pm

The Next generates 480p @ 60Hz and 576p @ 50Hz.

The 50Hz is going to be preferable for proper spectrum timing. The Next does not yet have it on hdmi, meaning games that rely on timing like multicolour effects will not display properly. A future core will do proper timing but only in the 50Hz mode.

As for how it's going to look, I don't know :)