Unable to get Wi-Fi to connect!

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
paulderbo

Unable to get Wi-Fi to connect!

Postby paulderbo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:23 pm

Ok, I need some help! I’ve got round to installing a Wi-Fi module in my Next. When I run wifi2.bas it sees my networks but when I try and join one it just times out with a “<TIMEOUT4” message and just keeps trying! I’ve tried changing the name of my network and the password to just have letters in both. I’ve also tried connecting to the hotspot on my phone but still the same result. The Firmware on the module looks old ver 1.1 from May 2016 but I obviously can’t update it via the Wi-Fi and I can’t find any trace of the Next (beta3) firmware mentioned in wifi2.bas! Has anyone got any other suggestions?

MtM

Re: Unable to get Wi-Fi to connect!

Postby MtM » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:54 pm

I am having the same issue, so if you find out a solution please could you post it here too? Thank you.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:33 pm

Try ".espbaud" from basic or the command line to see if you have it. If not you can get it from the tbblue repo https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue/-/ ... line=false . Save in c:/dot. Some docs https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue/-/ ... ds/espbaud

I think it's a possibility your esp does not default to 115200 bps which a lot of tools are assuming.

Try ".espbaud -Rd". This will reset your esp (takes ~9 seconds) and then detect its baud rate. If it's not ~ 115200 then maybe that is it. You can set the baud rate to 115200 with a little test using ".espbaud -dv 115200" and then rerun wifi2.bas

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:55 pm

Sorry, you see the networks so that means the esp is already communicating.

Could you do an ".espbaud -dv" and let us know the AT version and SDK version?

There is a way to changed the firmware on the esp module with the ".espupdate" dot command. You'd need to grab the esp file from https://github.com/Threetwosevensixseve ... _v200_1300 . This is one of the versions that seems to work ok but this is still being troubleshooted with someone else so you may want to wait a bit to find out the outcome.

paulderbo

Postby paulderbo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:07 pm

Sorry, I’d got my notifications set wrong, so didn’t see the replies!! It turned out to be a faulty esp card. The flash Rom was not writeable for one thing! Bought a new one from Amazon and all working ok now! Thanks for your replies!

MtM

Postby MtM » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:31 pm

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:33 pm
Try ".espbaud" from basic or the command line to see if you have it. If not you can get it from the tbblue repo https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue/-/ ... line=false . Save in c:/dot. Some docs https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue/-/ ... ds/espbaud

I think it's a possibility your esp does not default to 115200 bps which a lot of tools are assuming.

Try ".espbaud -Rd". This will reset your esp (takes ~9 seconds) and then detect its baud rate. If it's not ~ 115200 then maybe that is it. You can set the baud rate to 115200 with a little test using ".espbaud -dv 115200" and then rerun wifi2.bas
Many thanks for this information, and your other post below.

I have updated the esp module.

However, the problem persists, even using the commands above. Using espbaud I can set the baud to 115200, then using wifi2.bas I can connect, but a reset of the machine and back to square one, as if it cannot retain the settings. It never used to be like this, it worked fine for months, it has only happened sometime this year I think. I am using the latest firmware etc. on the Next. Any more ideas would be most welcome thank you.

AndyCalling

Postby AndyCalling » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:57 pm

I have read somewhere that if there's a space character anywhere in your Wi-Fi network's SSID (the name that you see when you look for and find your network on your devices) the Next will not be able to connect.

If this is the case, I'm sure it will be fixed some time. Until then, and I know it's a pain as you'll have to reconnect all your other devices too, you could rename your SSID in your router settings to something without spaces.

MtM

Postby MtM » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:05 am

AndyCalling wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:57 pm
I have read somewhere that if there's a space character anywhere in your Wi-Fi network's SSID (the name that you see when you look for and find your network on your devices) the Next will not be able to connect.

If this is the case, I'm sure it will be fixed some time. Until then, and I know it's a pain as you'll have to reconnect all your other devices too, you could rename your SSID in your router settings to something without spaces.
Thanks for that, I had read that too. However, a) there is no space in my ssid name and b) it worked fine previously, I do not
know what has caused it to stop working, unless it is the current firmware, which when I updated several months ago I did not
check to see if it still connected to the wifi.

So I am at a loss as to what has changed otherwise and why it is not working.

Any other ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks.

AndyCalling

Postby AndyCalling » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:09 pm

That it worked before isn't really counting out bugs as they can arise with an update, but if you have no space then that can't be the issue. You could make sure it is just very simple to count out all unusual characters, but that's a stretch.

So I guess you've already rebooted the router. You could try resetting it to factory defaults? Oh, but connecting to your phone doesn't work either.

So, you can try resetting the Next to factory defaults. By that I mean redoing the SD card, reflashing the firmware and re... flashing would it be? The core to Next mode.

If that fails, and it fails for all connections like your phone as well as your router, it might be the Wi-Fi card that's died? Not a great situation, you would need to install a new one. They aren't expensive but it's a pain.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Fri May 07, 2021 2:17 am

MtM wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:31 pm
However, the problem persists, even using the commands above. Using espbaud I can set the baud to 115200, then using wifi2.bas I can connect, but a reset of the machine and back to square one, as if it cannot retain the settings.
Could you try ".espbaud -d" after reset? Is it different from 115200?

Most esp modules have a current baud rate and a permanent baud rate. The permanent baud rate is what the module resets to. By default espbaud is only setting the current baud rate which will apply until power down. However if you find the power on baud rate is not 115200 above, you can change the permanent baud rate as well with ".espbaud -dp 115200".

Most programs are assuming the esp is set to 115200 so they will not work unless that is the case.