can now send / receive data with rs232 with cspect (next)

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
funkheld

can now send / receive data with rs232 with cspect (next)

Postby funkheld » Sun May 23, 2021 7:06 pm

hello, can now send / receive data with rs232 with cspect (next)

vspe installed.
set to com1: 115200.

Cspect started:
CSpect.exe -w2 -zxnext -nextrom -exit -brk -tv -com = "COM1: 115200" -mmc = tbblue.mmc

next basic opened and .uart entered.
teraterm opened and set to com1: 115200.

Can send from teraterm to next and from next to teraterm.

it works with the arduino too.
arduino sends to the notebook.

and raspi 3b+ is ok.

greeting
Attachments
nextseriell.jpg
nextseriell.jpg (78.52 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
Last edited by funkheld on Sun May 23, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funkheld

Re: can now send / receive data with rs232 with cspect (next)

Postby funkheld » Sun May 23, 2021 7:35 pm

how can you now use this uart with your own next-basic program?

thanks.

funkheld

Postby funkheld » Sun May 23, 2021 8:21 pm

here I have connected a raspi 3b+ to the notebook (Cspect) .
usb-ttl to usb-ttl

greeting
Attachments
raspinext.jpg.jpg
raspinext.jpg.jpg (76.87 KiB) Viewed 1953 times

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Mon May 24, 2021 3:46 am

cspect is emulating the esp/wifi uart only. You can also plug a real esp-01 board into your pc so that the emulated next on cspect can communicate with the esp as it would on the real hardware too.

There are two hardware uarts in the Next, one normally connected to the esp/wifi through the esp/wifi socket and the other normally connected to the pi through some pins on the accelerator interface.

Some people have connected to the esp-wifi uart by removing the esp-01 module and plugging in a 3.3V rs232 connector to the socket that then connects to the pc. However this requires you to run without an esp-01 module and it requires you to open up the machine. If you want to go that way, there are diagrams and some information available that I don't have a ready link to.

Point 2 is that you can go wireless by using the esp-01 module to make internet connections including to your pc. Some software takes advantage of this to sync files on your pc with your next or to allow file upload/download capability to your local pc. If you want to do this, the esp module speaks a subset of AT commands to establish internet connections which you can find online. From basic, there is a driver available that does some of the work for you. I believe the documentation is here https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue/-/ ... ra-hw/wifi . This is still an area under exploration.

Point 3 is that, in recent cores (and you should maybe update to 3.01.10 that is currently under test), one of the two uarts (esp or pi) can be redirected to a joystick port so that you can plug an rs232 cable into the joystick port and connect that to a pc. NOTE: THE NEXT JOYSTICK CONNECTOR IS NOT THE SAME AS A DB-9 RS232 CABLE. It is a sega joystick connector and the Tx/Rx signals are not in the right positions for a standard cable. Also, note that the joystick connector is expecting 3.3 or max 5 volts on signals so a special connector and interface is required. Modern PCs have the same voltage requirements so such interfaces are readily available. There is a diagram for this as well if needed.

If you need to know more, just ask.

funkheld

Postby funkheld » Mon May 24, 2021 7:11 am

thanks for the information.

does that also work with the zesarux?

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Mon May 24, 2021 2:11 pm

funkheld wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 7:11 am
does that also work with the zesarux?
No I don't think so, not yet at least.

A feature like this is not too hard to add since the emulators do not have to work at the signals level. The Next uarts are hardware uarts (unlike the IF1 / 128K serial interface which is bit-banged) so an emulator can operate at the send byte / receive byte level by monitoring the uart ports. These send / receive bytes can be hooked up to a pc api that sends and receives bytes to its own hardware uart.

The emulation in cspect is based on an older version of the uarts (8N1 only I think, many new status bits not provided, interrupts not supported) and fixed serial speed without emulation of finite Tx and Rx buffer sizes. However most software still is and likely will remain using a subset of uart features where this continues to work. For emulator authors, properly supporting interrupts and the im2 hardware mode will be another step in complexity.

funkheld

Postby funkheld » Mon May 24, 2021 4:32 pm

Hello thanks for the information.
I know only a few emulators that make this RS232 with.
from the MiSTer I don't know any core that can and does it.
I also got the SiDi a month ago.
The C64 and the spectrum can do it.

Even with the normal emulators that can: C64, C16, Spectrum, this RS232 moves on simple ground without reaching for the stars. It's nostalgia that's just built.
I don't expect any miracles, I want to move in this simple area and I am happy when it works like the CSpect. The CSpect has taken a big step.

The n-go / next with the CSpect is a good team.

Greeting

funkheld

Postby funkheld » Mon May 24, 2021 6:48 pm

With the CSpect (tbblue.mmc) there is a mutual interrupt transmission in the RS232 as a next-basic demo.

This works together with the CSpect on my Pi400 and with the CSpect on my notebook.

Can operate both side by side in the test.

greeting