Did you miss the Kickstarter? Would you still want a Next? Now you can!

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
MikeCad

Re: Spectrum Next post Kickstarter poll

Post by MikeCad » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:20 am

That's ok Matt, there's always one :P

The more likely scenario would be ecommerce. I can't see anything like this ever hitting retail in the bricks and mortar sense. The demand just isn't there. What retailer would commit to buying in bulk where the audience are people looking for a modern device recreating something from 35 years ago. Still, never say never :) There is interest out there but that is primarily ecommerce, people who want to buy 100 machines and sell them on their own sites etc. Far better though than having nothing at all. There is also the option of selling them through the SpecNext web site but of course the team can't simply make hundreds of excess units in the hope they get snapped up. Should KS funds be used (if indeed anything is left over) to produce post KS machines? I guess when all is said and done, and all pledges and stretch goals have been honoured if there is anything in the pot it might be possible. They will need to produce some excess anyway for returns but I'm not sure what percentage over the pledges that would be. Make as many as they can until all funds are gone? SpecNext could sell these until they're all gone and if they are willing (and there is sufficient interest from other parties), decent sized batches could be produced 100 at a time, then the risk is passed onto the other party. Anyway, back to asking people to post if they would be interested in a post KS Next :)
ZX80, ZX81, Spectrum 48K, Spectrum +2, QL, Atari 130XE, Atari ST, Atari Falcon, Acorn A3000..

under_score

Post by under_score » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:33 pm

I'd love a fully operational Next with case - take my money!!!

Slow

Post by Slow » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:52 pm

"If you build it they will come" is one thing that may actually work here. If it is available for purchase after Kickstarter, given the goodwill and showing off it receives from the Kickstarters it will certainly sell a steady trickle for a while. If you add C64, Atari, CPC, etc. support, possibly with further custom cases for each platform, you will almost certainly be selling more of it, and you can low-risk Kickstart it again with those specifics in mind, most of the work already done, and repeatedly whip up further attention for the platform and maintain a strong momentum.

Regarding making this kind of hardware available over a longer period of time, try checking with A-eon Trevor, the guy who is selling PPC-based Amigas (most recently he's been working on A1222 for 400£ but the progress is unclear). He should be able to share some of his experience on this kind of business, namely I believe he always has a stash ready to deliver, although his stuff so far is rather expensive (too much for me to justify it, although 400£ is something I might be interested in). May just help ballparking it.

Conversely, if you don't make a stash available for purchase outside the Kickstarter or fail to commit to do so in time, people will lose interest. Also, if you don't have a little stash available immediately, people may not order anything, waiting for the stash to fill up. Maintaining public interest in platform may also keep the Kickstarters' interest in the project for a longer period of time than would be case otherwise.

It would be great if this platform continued growing.

Zynaps

Post by Zynaps » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Yes, I missed the deadline but really want a Spectrum Next Accelerated. Hope they become available.

alanspec

Post by alanspec » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:24 pm

I'd be gutted if I couldn't get one post KS...
I got paid on the day the funding closed....due to work I didn't get home until after midnight....logged in and that sinking feeling set in when I saw the funding was closed. My mistake......still haven't forgiven myself.
I would've been flipping a coin to choose between pledging 175 or 215 - so yes - I'll take one or two for sure if they are made available after the KS batches.
Please take my money in exchange for a Next :)

Jakah

Post by Jakah » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:31 am

I don't see the response to this thread as an indication of the level of interest in a new spectrum/ personal computer. This is a limited section of a much larger computing world who were either not aware of the Spectrum Next Kickstarter or have not realised there is still a thriving Spectrum community. Members here I would imagine were generally aware of the Kickstarter and already have their name down for a machine. It is folks like myself who only became aware of this product through a limited press coverage after the window had closed who would love to have a machine and would add to these numbers. There are many folks out there who would love the idea of a new life line for this much loved machine and the new possibilities that can be achieved with the proposed new hardware. Folks I've spoken to have fond memorizes of programming at home in their early years but believed those days were gone and a spectrum would never be available again. That is no longer true we have new hardware and some talented folks who can push the boundaries on what can be done. If anything I think we should be adding more power to this machine there is certainly enough room inside the case to add additional graphic/ sound processing etc. Still not sure why there is no USB port for new hardware. (Is there a technical reason?) Getting the word out there will generate a much greater demand for this product which would see large numbers looking to purchase this machine.

Slow

Post by Slow » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:24 am

One should not underestimate the suppressed need of a simple computer platform that isn't always online, does not track your behavior, does not bother you with popups and reminders, does not keep your credit card information, does not update itself on a whim, and where software just simply continues to work as intended after 30+ years. A perfectly knowable universe. A sandbox for your thoughts, a personal computer which is an extension of yourself, a place you want to be, as opposed to being an extension of everyone else shouting at you to get your attention, and a place where everyone else wants to control your experience.

To me as a professional software developer, this is the paradise we abandoned. A peace of mind.

I agree to what's been pointed out by others, even this thread may not be a good indication of interest in spec next. There is a lot to how you guys intend to market this product, and that you are relentless about reaching out to the right groups of users. Perhaps you should try polling and/or brainstorming to identify the groups, and then try finding a way to reach out to them? I believe it is only then that you would be able to estimate their interest. And as I also believe, as I've said, if you were ready to receive further orders promptly, you will be able to use the momentum to get more Spectrum Next out. Also, if you make sure you also can deliver promptly on order (once after the Kickstarter deliveries), you will almost certainly sell more.

I only found out about Spectrum Next by accidentally reading a Jeff Minter tweet.

For a simple example, I was interested in getting a Ubuntu Touch phone, and would have purchased it on two occasions... if it had been in stock. It wasn't, and I didn't. I was not interested in placing an order since there was no information about what it would take to get one, since I like planning my economy - if there had been a time estimate, or even better a simple order-progress statement saying "we need 20 more users to place order before we order the batch of 50 units, we order one batch each month", or "we have ordered a batch, starting a new batch for anyone who didn't make it in time" maybe I would have. But ideally, one really needs to have a stock. Had I missed the Kickstarter (I didn't miss it, but I strongly feel for those who did), I would have wished to put an order for the Spectrum Next and receive it soon after the Kickstarters. Failing to do so, I would attempt again on two-three occasions, and then I would give up, maybe rediscovering the product three years from now, if it were still around.

edmundmk

Post by edmundmk » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:17 am

I think there are a few reasons people are not finding this thread. The title mentions nothing about what the poll is about - it sounds like it's a poll of Kickstarter backers, not a poll of people who missed it. And the post in the FAQ forum, 'I missed the Kickstarter, will the Next be available to purchase?', which is the most logical place to look for info on this topic (post currently has 565 views), does not link back to this poll.

It takes dedication to sign up to a forum for a community that you missed out on joining. But then so does paying actual money for a product rather than just talking about it!

I still don't understand how I missed hearing about the Kickstarter. I am still hoping for good news, but maybe we were just too late.

MikeCad

Post by MikeCad » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:39 am

edmundmk wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:17 am
I think there are a few reasons people are not finding this thread. The title mentions nothing about what the poll is about - it sounds like it's a poll of Kickstarter backers, not a poll of people who missed it. And the post in the FAQ forum, 'I missed the Kickstarter, will the Next be available to purchase?', which is the most logical place to look for info on this topic (post currently has 565 views), does not link back to this poll.
Consider me told, and consider it corrected :)
ZX80, ZX81, Spectrum 48K, Spectrum +2, QL, Atari 130XE, Atari ST, Atari Falcon, Acorn A3000..

stamasd

Re: Spectrum Next... Did you miss the Kickstarter? Would you still want a Next?

Post by stamasd » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:01 pm

I missed the kickstarter because I didn't find out about it until today. :(

I've been a ZX Spectrum user since the late '80s. Started with a borrowed clone which I had the use of for a few months (Romanian Tim-S). Then built my own clone from a kit (Romanian Cobra). Then in the early 90s I afforded to buy a factory-built clone (HC-91) complete with modified IF1 and external FDD unit, able to run CP/M too. Still have that one though it's mechanically unsound, especially the keyboard.
Later I was able to acquire a Timex 1000 complete with 16KB RAM cartridge, and a Spectrum +2A which needed quite a bit of work to get to function (broken case, needed to build custom power supply and a video adapter so it can output to a LCD monitor). I use a IF1bis with this one.

More recently I was able to synthesize a ZX Spectrum in a FPGA board using a Pipistrello based on http://joco.homeserver.hu/zxpipi/
And even more recently I bought a ZX-Uno, which unfortunately I haven't had much time to play with yet. But I've got some vacation time coming. :)

Yes, I would be interested in spending some time with a Spectrum Next if it became available to non-backers.