Musical potential of the NEXT.

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
PiyoTaro

Re: Musical potential of the NEXT.

Post by PiyoTaro » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:04 pm

PiyoTaro wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:53 am
So let's review the sound cards that have been released in the world of ZXSpectrum and compatible machines.

There were many things not found in Google search, including the official site of "TurboSound".

In the future, wiki will be expanded, and 'the type of expansion bus' supported by the sound card (or the model of compatible Spectrum compatible machine), 'the IO address' where the sound chip is decoded, 'the presence or absence of ROM', etc. I want to share information.
  • "TurboSound" sound chip: AY-3-8910/12 or YM2149
    "General sound"
  • "MoonSound" sound chip: YMF278B (or 295)
    The original is MSX hardware "MOONSOUND" ("Wozblaster" etc.). The "OPL4" sound chip is equipped with an FM sound equivalent to "OPL3" and a 24 voice wavetable sound generator. A wavetable sound equivalent to General MIDI can be played by the "YRW801 2MB ROM" chip mounted on the board, and an SRAM for user tones is also mounted on the board.

Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonsound
    Wiki/ MSX Recource Center: https://www.msx.org/wiki/Category:OPL4
    I have seen a demo of "ZX version" on YouTube for several years, but I can not confirm whether it is on sale.

I found the site of the person who made the hardware of "ZX Bus/Nemo Bus" version.
    - "I thought, why not try to adapt it to our native ZX Spectrum."
    Introduction by personal homepage "MICK LABORATORY" (Russian)http://micklab.ru/My%20Soundcard/ZXMMoonSound.htm
    (translation)https://translate.google.com/translate? ... nSound.htm

The article was divided into three posts because there is a limitation of "10 URLs in one post".
---
All I wanted to say was the first paragraph.

Black_Cat

Post by Black_Cat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:38 am

At the moment, all exUSSR expansion devices are designed mainly for the NemoBus bus, which is the only correct evolution of the ZXBus interface of the original ZX Spectrum. The expansion interfaces of clones such as ZX Spectrum 128/+2, ZX Spectrum +2a,b/+3, ZX Spectrum Next are not the correct evolution of the original ZXBus interface, and therefore most of the exUSSR equipment designed under the NemoBus bus will not work correctly with these computers. Such computers require correction of errors in them to be able to use exUSSR equipment. In addition, the computer ZX Spectrum Next can not work with any peripheral equipment designed for ZXBus, because its expansion interface is not compatible with 5V TTL chips that are used in all expansion devices for ZXBus.

SevenFFF

Post by SevenFFF » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:15 pm

The only correct bus doesn’t work properly with any Spectrums apart from the 48K....

I stopped reading after that point.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel Spectron 2084blog

Black_Cat

Post by Black_Cat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:16 pm

SevenFFF wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:15 pm
The only correct bus doesn’t work properly with any Spectrums apart from the 48K....
Seven FFF, if you ever learn technically competent to communicate, then maybe You will realize what nonsense you wrote. :)
SevenFFF wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:15 pm
I stopped reading after that point.
It is not necessary to write answers to the topic, the essence of the discussion which You do not understand.

seedy1812

Post by seedy1812 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:54 pm

Black_Cat wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:38 am
At the moment, all exUSSR expansion devices are designed mainly for the NemoBus bus, which is the only correct evolution of the ZXBus interface of the original ZX Spectrum.
Strong words and I guess you have evidence to back this up.

Surely all changes which Sinclair made are the official evolution of the ZXBus.

Looking at the docs ( BC IG #7 Стандартизация ZX BUS интерфейсов и шин_R20180525.txt ) which i got via (https://zx.clan.su/forum/7-82-1)

If I read this right the the Next cannot use NemoBus v.0.9-v.1.1 peripherals as instead of the standard expansion bus with a length of 28 it was expanded to 31.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:38 am

Just a point of fact for Black Cat. The 128/+2, +2a/+3, etc are not clones. They are the original Sinclair machines. The Russian models are imperfect clones and any bus that is not compatible with the Sinclair range is a non-starter for Sinclair machines.

SevenFFF

Post by SevenFFF » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:46 am

This is what I told him, and he said I didn’t have the ability to communicate or understand. I’m being charitable, and putting it down to language differences.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel Spectron 2084blog

Alcoholics Anonymous

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:59 am

PiyoTaro wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:53 am
And it seems that the first implementation of the "accelerator card" interface will be done in the next core update.
In that case, I hope that the "Raspberry Pi Zero" digital audio pin will be connected to the ZXSpectrumNext board without forgetting.
The two stereo pwm pins will be connected.

Black_Cat

Post by Black_Cat » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:49 pm

seedy1812 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:54 pm
Black_Cat wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:38 am
At the moment, all exUSSR expansion devices are designed mainly for the NemoBus bus, which is the only correct evolution of the ZXBus interface of the original ZX Spectrum.
Strong words and I guess you have evidence to back this up.
Indeed! The main proof is the fact that both for the original ZX Spectrum, which was developed by Altwasser (and not Sinclair, as people who do not know the history of this computer believe), and for exUSSR clones using NemoBus, all 64k I / o port address space is available. Therefore, devices that use NemoBus are not limited in the selection of I / o port addresses, while in clones such as ZX Spectrum 128/+2, ZX Spectrum +2a,b/+3, ZX Spectrum Next, where the external expansion interface is implemented incorrectly, this is impossible, because this can cause a port conflict. That is why, and not for some other reason, clones such as ZX Spectrum 128/+2, ZX Spectrum +2a,b/+3, ZX Spectrum Next can not use exUSSR peripherals created for the NemoBus bus - this can lead to a conflict of I / o ports, while with the original ZX Spectrum, which developed by Altwasser, there will be no conflicts.
seedy1812 wrote:
Surely all changes which Sinclair made are the official evolution of the ZXBus.
This is a typical misconception in the West, among those who do not know the history of ZX Spectrum. Sinclair did not and could not make any changes, because he had no technical education, and did not understand anything in the development of hardware and software of computers.
seedy1812 wrote:
Looking at the docs ( BC IG #7 Стандартизация ZX BUS интерфейсов и шин_R20180525.txt ) which i got via (https://zx.clan.su/forum/7-82-1)

If I read this right the the Next cannot use NemoBus v.0.9-v.1.1 peripherals as instead of the standard expansion bus with a length of 28 it was expanded to 31.
No, that's the wrong conclusion. Mismatch in the number of contacts and signals can be corrected with the adapter. As I said above, the main reason is that clones such as ZX Spectrum 128/+2, ZX Spectrum +2a,b/+3, ZX Spectrum Next do not have the means to resolve I / o port conflicts, while in exUSSR clones that use the NemoBus bus, this tool is available.

Black_Cat

Post by Black_Cat » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:52 pm

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:38 am
Just a point of fact for Black Cat. The 128/+2, +2a/+3, etc are not clones. They are the original Sinclair machines. The Russian models are imperfect clones and any bus that is not compatible with the Sinclair range is a non-starter for Sinclair machines.
This is a typical misconception common in the West, associated with the inability to logical thinking, and ignorance of the history of the computer ZX Spectrum. The essence of the misconception is that the identification of a computer as a clone is carried out according to its technical characteristics, and not at all because its body is written "SIN*LAIR". The Russians have a proverb:"On a woodshed can be written "DI*K", but nevertheless inside it will be wood." The difference between ZX Spectrum 128/+2, ZX Spectrum +2a,b/+3 and "Russian" clones is only that the former are official clones and the latter are unofficial. At the same time, "Russian" clones can be much closer in architecture to the original ZX Spectrum than the official clones. However, fixes for ZX Spectrum 128/+2, ZX Spectrum +2a,b/+3 are pretty simple to make in 5 minutes, and forget about port conflicts forever. Why this was not done in ZX Spectrum Next is a mystery to me.