Cspect and img file

Discuss ZX Spectrum Next Games, Tools and more.
Zxspooks

Cspect and img file

Postby Zxspooks » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:58 pm

Hi All,

Im would like to be able to create an image file for cspect to open from launch via Hdf-gooey with Latest distro etc and all my games on from the ZX Next to Orignal 48/128k ones and them run it form a usb for portable use. I have transferred some games via the H'gooey launcher, but for some reason after so many files are copied it stops working or I keep getting following msg "error reading file: c: /machines/next/enAltzx.rom", once I run cspect. I have tried downloading the 8gb image file for plenty of space, using H'gooey and have opened the img in power iso, copied my games directory from my Next SD card to image, but once I save the image and selected it again in H'gooey it either freezes or comes up with the above error, I would be great if I could get this to work, so I have a nice portable version with my complete library, I have done this successfully with H'gooey on a 32gb usb not adding anything, but can't seem to find a way to add all other games library to the image successfully. is there a better program to create a custom img? any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Alcoholics Anonymous

Re: Cspect and img file

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:38 pm

You can mount img files as a logical drive and read/write files that way. Things like Linux have that capability built into the operating system. On Windows you have to grab a utlity that will map an img file to logical drive letter. Just remember to eject the img drive when done so that writes are flushed to the img file.

I had a hard drive crash and no longer have the Windows utility installed that I used for this so I can't remember the name. A quick google search is coming up with win32diskimager but I'm pretty sure that was not it. Another one coming up that I haven't tried is OSFMount. This last one appears to make img files read only by default and instead stores changes so that you don't change the original file unless you set it up that way.

Maybe someone else can recommend what they are currently successfully using.

Zxspooks

Re: Cspect and img file

Postby Zxspooks » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:54 pm

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:38 pm
You can mount img files as a logical drive and read/write files that way. Things like Linux have that capability built into the operating system. On Windows you have to grab a utlity that will map an img file to logical drive letter. Just remember to eject the img drive when done so that writes are flushed to the img file.

I had a hard drive crash and no longer have the Windows utility installed that I used for this so I can't remember the name. A quick google search is coming up with win32diskimager but I'm pretty sure that was not it. Another one coming up that I haven't tried is OSFMount. This last one appears to make img files read only by default and instead stores changes so that you don't change the original file unless you set it up that way.

Maybe someone else can recommend what they are currently successfully using.
Thank you seems good place to start.