How to save and load CSpect emulator state when emulating ZX Spectrum Next?

Discuss ZX Spectrum Next Games, Tools and more.
bobeff

How to save and load CSpect emulator state when emulating ZX Spectrum Next?

Postby bobeff » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:55 pm

I use CSpect emulator for playing a game for ZX Spectrum Next. I wonder whether is possible to save the emulator state to memory and load it in the future in order to have game save/load functionality at an arbitrary place that is not supported by the game. There is such functionality with Fuse emulator for older spectrum machines, but I cannot find how to do it with CSpect. If the functionality is not supported is there some other emulator for ZX Spectrum Next that supports it?
Last edited by bobeff on Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Re: How to save and load CSpect emulator state when emulating ZX Spectrum Next?

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:41 pm

Nothing supports saving the zx spectrum next state (as opposed to the zx spectrum state). The real zx next itself can save snapshots when running original zx titles but it cannot save the zx next state because it's considerably more complicated and some of the internal hardware state is not readable by the machine. Theoretically it is possible for an emulator to save the zx spectrum next state but none of them are attempting it yet. We encourage software developers to include a save position function for their zx next games.

bobeff

Postby bobeff » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:56 am

Maybe I can send a feature request for the state preserving functionality to the author of CSpect. Does someone have any idea in what way I can do it? The email of the author or some other way to contact him.

Ped7g

Postby Ped7g » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:02 am

The ZEsarUX has it's own native snapshot format which is extended for Next in latest version. Whether it works or how cumbersome it is due to size of snapshot (and how well the inner state is preserved, like esxdos opened files and positions) - I have no idea and I would rather expect it to be not perfect (as the whole emulation of Next in ZEsarUX is far from perfect). But technically it is there.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:25 pm

I have spoken to Mike about cspect. In the meantime it might be interesting to find out if zesarux can produce a reliable state save. The emulators are only partial emulation so it will depend a lot on the game I think.

bobeff

Postby bobeff » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:18 am

@Alcoholics Anonymous I'm not sure how to use ZEsarUX. When I choose ZX Spectrum Next from the menu it gives me
Error initializing SD card!
error message.