XeO3 level ported to Next (emulator)

Discuss ZX Spectrum Next Games, Tools and more.
mdf200

XeO3 level ported to Next (emulator)

Postby mdf200 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Managed to get a level from my Commodore Plus/4 game ported over the Layer 2 on the Next. Incredibly quick to scroll... Even at 3.5Mhz, it barely registers for a high colour smooth scroll. very cool.

The timing bar is the bouncing sprites and scroll at 14Mhz - SO much time left!

Animated backgrounds could however suck up a huge amount of time, as the plus/4 map (at least) could have most of it animating thanks to the tilemap, and reproducing this make simply be too expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVqbCBejfK8

JoeZX

Re: XeO3 level ported to Next (emulator)

Postby JoeZX » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:01 am

Bueno .. add some parallax scrolling, animated tiles and adios TurboGrafx-16, nothing more to say, make software not flamewar /just for science, sprite collision detection flag is ON ? .. Plus/4 doesnt have HW sprites/.

mdf200

Postby mdf200 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:30 am

I never use hardware sprite collision as it never gives enough details.... I was going to look at animated tiles next, and a star-field in the background

JoeZX

Postby JoeZX » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:17 pm

mdf200 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:30 am
I never use hardware sprite collision as it never gives enough details.... I was going to look at animated tiles next, and a star-field in the background
http://codetapper.com/amiga/interviews/martin-pedersen/
Hybris and B. Squadron - famous vertical scrolling amiga SHMUPs .. a very inspiring interview about 512KB RAM and HW sprites limits, CPU sprites aka BLOBs, racing the beam etc .. amiga often doesnt have enough DMA time to pull together smooth scrolling, many colors, even all 8 HW sprites at once at PAL 50Hz.

" If you are familiar with the Amiga hardware, you will know that when you smooth scroll the display using the register BPLCON1, you lose the 8th sprite in the process." - from elsewhere ..

Now .. with SpecNext boosted VDP muscles and fast CPU .. where are our limits, eh.

Stefan123

Postby Stefan123 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:59 am

Mike, have you managed to implement support for layer 2 in your emulator according to the bits and pieces of the layer 2 spec that have slipped out so far?

Would it be possible to test your emulator? Where can it be downloaded?

JoeZX

Postby JoeZX » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Stefan123 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:59 am
Mike, have you managed to implement support for layer 2 in your emulator according to the bits and pieces of the layer 2 spec that have slipped out so far?

Would it be possible to test your emulator? Where can it be downloaded?
Yes he did .. and it would not be possible ..

"Mike Dailly - It's not really public.... Just lets me play with stuff."

Stefan123

Postby Stefan123 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Ok, then I just have to wait eagerly for the layer 2 spec to be published and chernandezba to support it in ZEsarUX ;-)

mdf200

Postby mdf200 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:22 pm

If there is a demand for it I could.... but it's never been released, so I've no idea how stable it is for "real" users.

Also, anything you do with Layer 2 "might" have to be redone, as things like paging etc may not be finalised

Also... it doesn't emulate the "next" as such, just a 48/128 with the extra hardware on the ports.

Also........ the esxDOS stuff is simulated. I just look to see RST $08 being executed and take it over, so cycle counts, speeds, or other calls will be wrong or do nothing

Also..............(spot the pattern?) I only load .SNA files currently.

Also......................... because I don't emulate the machine fully, things like ".dot" commands will never be there.

and so on.... All it can do, is load the .SNA up from the command line, kick into 7,14 or 28Mhz mode and run it, allowing it to use the extra hardware features.