The Pawn Demo

Discuss ZX Spectrum Next Games, Tools and more.
SevenFFF

Re: The Pawn Demo

Postby SevenFFF » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:22 pm

You can fiddle around with the monitor's clock and phase to mitigate it, but there's no combination of settings that makes it go away on my monitor.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins

Timbucus

Postby Timbucus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:29 pm

The magenta line was only down the side in the very early TBU have you upgraded to 0.8a AND followed the instructions to press F1 while holding U so that the upgrade of the Bitstream is offered?
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

SevenFFF

Postby SevenFFF » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Timbucus wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:29 pm
The magenta line was only down the side in the very early TBU have you upgraded to 0.8a AND followed the instructions to press F1 while holding U so that the upgrade of the Bitstream is offered?
I did, but I upgraded to 1.04f/1.10.10. Edit: Ok, that's the same as 0.8a.

HDMI currently doesn't work at all. Why would that be?

Edit: You are right, I checked my messenger conversations, and the pink line was from just before I upgraded to 0.8a. Thanks!

But why has HDMI stopped working now? I don't see any settings controlling it.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins

jkjyuio

Postby jkjyuio » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:33 pm

Hi there!

hugh from Strand Games here;

This is really cool. What you need is the source for the Z80 emulator. The bad new is that i haven't got it. Although it's possible i might. From this hoard, we recovered the sources for the original games from two of the tapes. But the others haven't been read yet. That's because it's been somewhat of a struggle.

For some reason, this forum wont let me post 3 paragraphs. splitting....

jkjyuio

Postby jkjyuio » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:34 pm

part 2...

After Rob Jarratt's help, I'm looking out for a SCSI TZ30 tape drive. If i can get one that could work with Linux, I'll spend some time trying to recover the remainder of the tapes. Somewhere should be the emulator sources for Z80 (as well as others). With that you could (in theory) get a full-up Magnetic Scrolls terp working on the ZXNext.

Regarding graphics, does the Next have any improved features over the original? We managed to improve the original images significantly for modern devices. Maybe those improvements could be useful?

Good luck with the project!

Stefan123

Postby Stefan123 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi Hugh, thanks for your feedback :)

If you're able to retrieve the original Z80 Magnetic Scrolls interpreter from the old tapes, I'm interested in trying to make use of it. The ZX Next demo of The Pawn is mostly written in C and my Z80 assembler knowledge is a bit rudimentary but it would be fun to try to use it in my demo.

The ZX Next's new layer 2 graphics mode has the same resolution as the original mode (i.e. 256 x 192 pixels) but supports displaying 256 colours simultaneously from a palette of 512 colours. Do you think your image improvement techniques would be feasible at such a low resolution?

I really like your work at Strand Games, bringing the Magnetic Scroll classics to modern devices :) I always liked adventure games the most and have many fond memories from playing the games from Magnetic Scrolls, Level 9 and Melbourne House.

jkjyuio

Postby jkjyuio » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:05 pm

I'll certainly make the Z80 sources available, if i ever manage to restore them. The only other idea would be to port the magnetic interpreter to z80.

it's all in one file `emu.c`, so that would be a start. I've had some good results using sdcc (Small Device C Compiler) rather than z88dk. Last time i looked, the output from z88dk wasn't that great - although things change.

Regarding the improved graphics, i think you're right. The pixel upscaling we're doing only benefits higher resolutions. You're best using the originals, perhaps from the 16 bit editions like Atari ST/Amiga rather than the Spectrum originals (due to their limited colors).

Best of luck!

Timbucus

Postby Timbucus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:26 pm

I wonder if the Centre for Computing History in Cambridge http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/ has a SCSI TZ30 - they seem to have most things... and really enthusiastic volunteers.
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

varmfskii

Postby varmfskii » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:14 am

Z88dk can produce code using a patched version of sdcc (zsdcc) which I believe is the default when using the zxn target for the zx spectrum next.
Backer #2741 - TS2068, Byte, ZX Evolution

Stefan123

Postby Stefan123 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:52 pm

I will take a look at the Magnetic interpreter and see how much work it would be to port it to z88dk and Spectrum Next.

Hugh, do you have any experience of porting Magnetic to memory-banked devices? My hope is that the actual interpreter (possibly with some parts removed) will fit in the main 64 KB memory and that the needed parts of the story file can be paged in on-demand.

As varmfskii pointed out, z88dk nowadays includes the SDCC compiler :)