My second ZX Spectrum

Everything that is not ZX Spectrum Next goes here. Get ready for the Nostalgia!
mitja_i

My second ZX Spectrum

Post by mitja_i » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:32 am

My first computer was Sinclair ZX Spectrum +. I loved it. But I kinda lost track of it and it disappeared...

My wife alerted me that someone is selling a rubber speccy on a local ebay for 25€. It had a nice photo. I offered the 25€ immediately, even before I asked about the PSU or connecting cables. I meet the seller and she handed me the speccy in a plastic bag. Without any cables of course. There was also a bit mouldy german manual. So I cleaned the speccy with a damp cloth and it immediately shined as new!
spectrum2.jpg
spectrum
spectrum2.jpg (85.07 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
I opened it up and it was very clean on the inside! It's a nice issue 4A.
spectrum3.jpg
The board
spectrum3.jpg (121.59 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
I went and bought a PSU ( I needed the euro connector and 220V): https://retrogamesupply.com/collections ... um-16k-48k

And it WORKS! The picture is obviously poor - probably the result of a very old antenna cable, with connectors that fall off and absence of good fine tuning on a modern TV. It would probably also be useful to replace the capacitors and maybe the power regulator too.
spectrum4.jpg
works!
spectrum4.jpg (31.31 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
Even the membrane is OK!
spectrum5.jpg
keys
spectrum5.jpg (27.45 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
Next step - composite mod!
Backer 423 @ 37% funded 29 days left
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

SamusDrake

Re: My second ZX Spectrum

Post by SamusDrake » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:54 pm

My friend, that is a thing of beauty. Brings back memories of when I modelled that motherboard in 3dsMax and Silo.

Waiting on these newer models is painful, because at the end of the day I just wouldn't mind a recreation of the 48K+. I wish I could go back in a machine and say to my younger self..."look after it, because you dont know how much you will miss it when its gone!". Well, at least I can say it to you; look after it!