Retro vs. refurbish - What do you think?

Everything that is not ZX Spectrum Next goes here. Get ready for the Nostalgia!
Eratosthenes

Retro vs. refurbish - What do you think?

Post by Eratosthenes » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:19 pm

Hi,

@the moment, after knowing about how the retro stuff provided by retroradionics is in case of plastics I'm about to refurbish my old 48k.
rubberRefurbishing.jpg
What I've recognised is, that the old stuff is made of much better quality. What do you think? - Is it worth to recreate this old stuff?

To me:
As long as the quality of the original ZX Spectrum is as far away from the retro stuff as it is from the provided rubber keyboard now,
I will repair the original ones...

My opinion:
As long as you provide this inferior stuff I have to refurbish my computers. => PLEASE provide retro stuff I can use!
My wish: PLEASE provide a (rubber-) keyboard that is as thick as the original. I don't want to clean all this >>30 year old stuff...

THNX 4 your support...

MfG
der Eratosthenes

P.S.: See my "1st of the 2nd" 48k refurbished soon... ;-)

P^2.S.: See the not really cleaned and not mounted faceplate here...
rubberRefurbishing02.jpg

sol_hsa

Re: Retro vs. refurbish - What do you think?

Post by sol_hsa » Tue May 01, 2018 4:14 am

Considering the size of the market, I'm glad someone makes replacement parts at all.

Eratosthenes

Post by Eratosthenes » Thu May 10, 2018 8:37 pm

Me too...

P.S.: BUT
I've ordered a case and a membrane from retroradionics. There were several promises what were not kept and many many problems. The main problem I have is that it's impossible to get in contact with retroradionics.

After canceling PayPal payment I got a response and aprox. 5 weeks later as promised I received my order (parcially)...
Since then - it's several weeks ago - I didn't get any info why I only received my order parcially. The membrane is still missing.

So until now - four to seven weeks later - I don't know if there was a problem with the delivery or if the membrane should have been part of the delivery as nobody responds on any requests. - I tried it at least 4 to 8 times until now...

Sorry for that: This kind of "business relationship" - I've payed for the order in 2017 - is *** (please use friendly language - mitja_i)!!! - Especially if they are hobbyists they should communicate somehow... :(

I don't have a problem when the stuff is delivered late if there are problems. BUT: getting no info is kind of strange business pratice... :(

P^2.S.: Here is an excerpt from my correspondence to try to get in contact with retroradionics. It was sent on april the 12th and I think it's not really unfriendly...:

Code: Select all

Hi <nameCut>,

yesterday I received the case. - It's "perfectly well". - What a great piece of kit. It looks even better as expected.

What I haven't received yet is the additional membrane I've ordered. Has it been forgotten or will it be sent in a separate package?

Thanks for the info.

mitja_i

Post by mitja_i » Fri May 11, 2018 8:39 am

You have been advised on how to contact Djordje. He is doing his best to help the community. Now please stop posting about him. You made your point.
Backer 423 @ 37% funded 29 days left
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

fgeva

Post by fgeva » Fri May 11, 2018 1:04 pm

So he publishes contact information on his website (there's this form), and he doesn't reply to that (I've had the same experience).

Then people say to contact him on some social media platform where he's alledgedly quite active, so there's no problem whatsoever, and if he doesn't respond on the contact address *he* provided it's the customer's fault? Really?

Come on, do you really want these forums to come over as hostile? You're doing a good job.
Backer 754

Eratosthenes

Post by Eratosthenes » Fri May 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Hello mitja_i,

I do not doubt that he is a good one but I think he's a bit ignorant according to "customers". Maybe especially if problems have occurred.

I've forgotten to mention that I also tried to contact him via Facebook. As I do not have an account a colleque of mine tried it for me. I gave him the order number, the description was wrong and my contact data. - He got the answer that Djordje wanted to take care of the order. This has happened about three- to five weeks ago.

mitja_i

Post by mitja_i » Fri May 11, 2018 5:12 pm

This forum is not suitable for debating 3rd party customer services.
Backer 423 @ 37% funded 29 days left
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary