The Next family tree

Everything that is not ZX Spectrum Next goes here. Get ready for the Nostalgia!
sol_hsa

The Next family tree

Postby sol_hsa » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:20 pm

I could not find a graph of the specnext family tree anywhere, so I spent a few minutes digging things up and came up with this:

http://iki.fi/sol/temp/speccy_family.pdf

I'm sure I'm missing plenty of things; especially things get really fuzzy when you start looking at the unofficial clones. Someone with experience with those could maybe shed some light on things?

I think I could also add amstrad's CPC machines as predecessors of the +2 speccys, as at least the cases look fairly similar..

I'm (mainly) interested in things that existed before, and influenced the next's design. There's a lot of "modern" speccy clones that may predate the next but probably did not add to it..

Where did ULA+ or the radastan/lores mode come from?

Timbucus

Re: The Next family tree

Postby Timbucus » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:01 pm

Nice work. You are however believe missing the MK14 from Science of Cambridge:
mk14_annotated.jpg
mk14_annotated.jpg (121.62 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
The single board nature of its design influenced the ZX80...
IMG_2618.jpeg
IMG_2618.jpeg (929.11 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

programandala.net

Postby programandala.net » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:34 am

sol_hsa wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:20 pm
Where did ULA+ or the radastan/lores mode come from?
The Radastan mode was firt implemented in the ZX-UNO (2016). If I recall clearly, @Radastan designed it first in theory, and later the ZX-UNO team decided to add it to the new machine, since they had space left in the FPGA.
Marcos Cruz (programandala.net)

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:52 am

ULA+ comes from Andrew Owen who dreamt it up some time ago. More than 15 years ago I think. The first implementation was in 2011 by Alessandro Dorigatti in fpga form but it remained obscure until one of the software emulators implemented it. I'm not sure which one it was. Then Andrew made palettes for a whole bunch of games and that helped it gain some traction.

https://sites.google.com/site/ulaplus/

Black_Cat

Postby Black_Cat » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:17 am

You have a strange family tree. Usually, such a tree includes homogeneous objects. In our case, these are computers. You have peripheral equipment mixed in there. If you follow this logic, it's not far to include transistors in the family tree, and if you look even deeper, then the stone axe. After all, the stone axe is also silicon. :)

sol_hsa

Postby sol_hsa » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:56 am

Yeah, I know. But then, next does have a strange family tree =)

eslopes

Postby eslopes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:59 pm

NIce "family", but the picture of TBBlue is not right. The computer depicted there is the TK-95, another 80's clone of the original ZX-Spectrum (slightly improved when compared to TK-90X, the most famous Speccy clone in Brazil). TBBlue was just a board. It didn't even have a case (well, it was created aiming to replace the original Speccy board, so thought Victor, but Henrique new better and the rest is history).

eslopes

Postby eslopes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:02 pm

BTW, the case used by TK-95 was a rip off too. It was designed after the case of Commodore Plus/4 (without the arrow keys, and different colours).

Check it out: https://www.c64-wiki.com/images/thumb/7 ... _Plus4.jpg

sol_hsa

Postby sol_hsa » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:19 pm

The tbblue image is "Board was fitted as TBBlue Gold by Manoel Carvalho" from http://tarjan.uw.hu/zx_clone_gallery.htm

eslopes

Postby eslopes » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:42 pm

Yes, but it was a single case made by Manoel who fitted a TBBLue in a TK-95 existing case (after paint it with gold). Anyways, it was just a heads up, so people would not think there was a case for the TBBlue commercially available before the Next itself.

Anyways, I really enjoy your family tree :) Nice job!