Raspberry Pi 400

Everything that is not ZX Spectrum Next goes here. Get ready for the Nostalgia!
zelea2

Raspberry Pi 400

Postby zelea2 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:43 pm

A very nice computer in a keyboard (same form factor as ZX Spectrum) is available to buy today for less than 70£

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/rasp ... 0738005075

It has HDMI output, 4GB RAM, ethernet, 3xUSB and GPIO's exposed - perfect to hook up joysticks.

Load this with Ubuntu and Mame and then play all your ZX Spectrum games.

Ped7g

Re: Raspberry Pi 400

Postby Ped7g » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:06 pm

Nice one, but why MAME + ZX Spectrum games, if I can run those on the Next? What's the point?

Would make more sense to me to rather run other arcades/platforms...

zelea2

Postby zelea2 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:58 am

The point is this is more than 4 times cheaper than the Next and you can have it today. Plus this has much more computing power (RPi4) and you can use it for other tasks just by changing the SD card. Not everyone has bought a Next ...

Tau Ceti

Postby Tau Ceti » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:37 am

zelea2 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:58 am
The point is this is more than 4 times cheaper than the Next and you can have it today. Plus this has much more computing power (RPi4) and you can use it for other tasks just by changing the SD card. Not everyone has bought a Next ...
Its's not Z80 powered, so for me, not interesting whatsoever.

Would be nice if someone could make a Next clone to stuff into it's case though.

Ped7g

Postby Ped7g » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:42 pm

you can have "power/price" cheaper than Next computing device by pretty much buying *anything* on the market except the specialized stuff, which is also the reason why Next costs how much it costs. It's FPGA based board, suitable also for developing your own chip designs, and it's designed to support also the original ZX extension bus connector, which you would have very difficult time to emulate with modern computery (plus you would need custom daughter board resolving the physical edge, but even with the physical stuff done, you are in impossible land with regard to timing+signal requirements, unless you put some chip controller on that daughter board... and that would need probably some memory to operate, and you are slowly getting to the point of rebuilding Next from the bus-expansion side ... :D ).

So the Next IMO justifies it's price point well. Whether you want one, and whether it's worth to you - probably not? I believe majority of public will hardly fall in love with classic ZX and the enhanced Next stuff so much, that the time spent on Next would be worth the price.

But for good 5k+ people it seems like Next is interesting offering.

Comparing Pi 400 with Next doesn't do favour to neither of the systems. Next is ~1000x less performant, while Pi 400 will never emulate Next in near-perfect way, so you may actually end having both, for different reasons. :D

And if I would go for small ARM device, I would rather go for Pinebook Pro, but that's again not a fair comparison, as Pi 400 has the GPIO stuff and overall is tinker-focus designed, for education, while Pinebook Pro is "just" regular linux notebook based on ARM chips (but for **my personal** use that makes more sense than Pi 400).

zelea2

Postby zelea2 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:54 pm

RetroPie has now images for the RPi 400 (https://retropie.org.uk/download).

You can use USB joysticks or map any keyboard keys to joystick.
Place the ZX Spectrum games is /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/zxspectrum
Accepted File Extensions: sna .szx .z80 .tap .tzx .gz .udi .mgt .img .trd .scl .dsk

xc8

Postby xc8 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:37 am

Too bad the ZXBaremulator has no support for Pi4
+++
ATZ