Connect to a PC

Discuss game and other programming topics not specifically covered in another forum

Moderator: Programming Moderators

cha05e90

Re: Connect to a PC

Postby cha05e90 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:03 pm

Z80Man wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:17 am
For the microdrives part, I've bought a Vdrive ZX, but the SD card contents may not been directly readable by the Next, so a PC might probably be useful as an intermediate to sort files and send them back to the Next own storage.
Ehem, while we're already there: Anyone writing a "driver" for mounting a *.mdr Microdrive image under NextZXOS? :-) It's of course no random access medium like a (virtual) floppy disc - but iin theory it should be doable.
48K/+/+/+128K/Next

Z80Man

Postby Z80Man » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:20 am

Oh, yes, I think i'll be working on this quickly. I'm not familiar with DivMMC so I don't know if relevant information is easily available, but even if can't easily manage to mount a .mdr file as a drive, at least writing a utility to parse its contents and transfer it to regular DivMMC/NextOS files shouldn't be complicated.

Of course, leading your suggestion to its full extent and being able to directly read/write/copy/move/stream .mdr contents as a mounted drive could be great. :)

cha05e90

Postby cha05e90 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:09 am

Z80Man wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:20 am
Oh, yes, I think i'll be working on this quickly. I'm not familiar with DivMMC so I don't know if relevant information is easily available, but even if can't easily manage to mount a .mdr file as a drive, at least writing a utility to parse its contents and transfer it to regular DivMMC/NextOS files shouldn't be complicated.

Of course, leading your suggestion to its full extent and being able to directly read/write/copy/move/stream .mdr contents as a mounted drive could be great. :)
Whatever you (might!) do, feel free to use me as a beta tester! ;-) For myself such an approach would be very convenient, because I'm operating my ZX Spectrum+ 128k with a vDriveZX/ZX Interface 1. My ZX Spectrum Next is equipped with it's own ZX Interface 1 and a vDriveZX (which of course can only be used in the *classic* ZX Spectrum personalities). It would be nice to read stuff out of the *.mdr files (or to write things back).

ATM - when fiddling around with some of my hobbyist programming projects - I need a PC and an emulator to transfer data into/out of *.mdr files that can be used with the vDriveZX'.
48K/+/+/+128K/Next

Z80Man

Postby Z80Man » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:39 am

Well, I've just received my next last week, it was stuck in paris until the postal service decided to send by boat 22 tons of parcels waiting there since last June. :(

Anyway, I'll have to find some documentation about the .mdr file structure and grab a sample. The specificity is it contains a drive and not only a single file, but the files inside should be stored in a straightforward manner, with, I suppose, a classical header as they were used in the original microdrive files.

The first and easier thing will be to parse then using a PC and extract each file, but to make usable, I guess it will be necessary to convert them into .bas, .bin, etc. files with a header that would be suitable for the NextOS.

Then it should also be possible to directly write a tool running on the Next and opening the .mdr container, parsing the files and writing them back using the integrated SAVE command.

Well, it looks I have lots of file formats to study when I have some free time, and since I need to get my original work back from my old microdrives and +D disks, that's somehting I'll have to do anyway. I also have a Vdrive ZX but I hadn't found the time (nor free desk space to put them back to work :p) to plug it into my old 48K and IF1 yet, but transferring the contentes of the (hopefully) still readable microdrives to a Vdrive ZX SD card should be a priority... At least to backup everything that can be.

funkheld

Postby funkheld » Sun May 23, 2021 5:58 pm

Hi good afternoon.

is there a mini program for the cspect that can be used to send data to a virtual rs232 port on windows to teraterm?

thanks