Musical potential of the NEXT.

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
PiyoTaro

Re: Musical potential of the NEXT.

Post by PiyoTaro » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm

1. The material about ZXNDMA on this site was updated on February 25 this year, and the reasons for not being able to add interrupts etc. have been added, but there is no demonstration yet.

No one has developed a "MML-based music driver" to be able to use the modulated sound by AY's hardware envelope and PCM instrument sound by ZXNDMA (somewhat deceptive) to the game BGM ?

2. TS-FM Problem:
Last September I received a reply about the implementation of FM Sound. However, the announcement of "rejected for copyright reasons" is not found except this reply.

I started designing my own Sound card. I noticed that the sound chip can be decoded with a single 13-NAND logic IC and TurboSound's D-FlipFlop circuit, and can be substituted with a pinheader instead of the "edge connector".
However, I noticed that the AY register extension of "TurboSound Next" causes interference with YM2203 of "TurboSound FM" and there is no compatibility information of the extended "edge connector" in Turbo mode. This will post to other threads.
  • Postscript 2019/3/31:
    I thought that the expansion port was driven at 14MHz, and because I chose a "74AC" class logic IC, six logic ICs were needed for "Negative logic OR combination".
    It decodes two low-cost OPN2 (YM2612/YM3438), OPNA and OPNB.
    A conflict is avoided by setting bit 3 (= 0) to the "board select bit".

3. Completion of the words posted on the thread:
  • Accelerator card interface
    PiyoTaro wrote:
    Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:50 pm
    • Postscript: 2019/3/24
      In the post of FB, I found a post that explains that "a serial bus was implemented in the accelerator card interface". I think that misunderstanding might be caused by my expression in this post. "The interface between accelerator card and TBBlue board" has no problem with i2c bus as other microcontrollers do.
      My post concerns "the connection port of the accelerator card seen from the Z80 bus" that we can access.
  • My request is that 'OPLL' has sister products such as YMF281(OPLL-P), which has changed the YM2413 instrument sound set.
    PiyoTaro wrote:
    Wed May 16, 2018 3:00 pm
    • ***Postscript 2019/3/24:
      The FM Sound core "VM2413" implemented in "1 chip MSX" has "Extended mode", and the tone parameters of 15 instruments and 3 drums can be registered in separate registers.
      Contents: "A YM2413 clone module written in VHDL." on GitHub. Author digital-sound-antiques.
      https://github.com/digital-sound-antiques/vm2413
Last edited by PiyoTaro on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:57 pm

The FM chips are too big to fit in the zx next architecture in current board's fpga - this is the reason they are no longer being considered. That doesn't mean you can't have it in a simpler architecture, like a plain 128k for example, and create a core for that.

PiyoTaro

Post by PiyoTaro » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:35 pm

PiyoTaro wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm
I started designing my own Sound card.
  • Postscript 2019/3/31:
    I thought that the expansion port was driven at 14MHz, and because I chose a "74AC" class logic IC, six logic ICs were needed for "Negative logic OR combination".
    It decodes two low-cost OPN2 (YM2612/YM3438), OPNA and OPNB.
    A conflict is avoided by setting bit 3 (= 0) to the "board select bit".
postscript
I want to mix and use the sound and Sound board of the "EAR" terminal of the ZXNext main unit like "Sega Mark3" FM unit.

I tried to draw an Address decoder with EAGLE. (It is an application that will automatically order a board from the schematic even if you do not look at the pin positions of the parts and without knowing the circuit design.)
fmsound_decorder.png
fmsound_decorder.png (48.97 KiB) Viewed 870 times
IC1 IC2 IC3 74AC11030(8-NAND),IC4 74AC11175(Quad D-FLIPFLOP),IC5 IC6 74AC11032(Quad OR)

You can use the extended sound by writing a value from 0xF8h to 0xFBh to the port 0xFFFDh that specifies the register of AY.
; bit0=0/1 chip select, bit1=0/1 chip bank select ("A1"), bit2=0 board select. (The circuit has increased due to the addition of the board select.)

If OPN2 is adopted here, the analog circuit is only a mixing amplifier.

In order to actually distribute it, it is necessary to make special order of “Card edge connector for ZXSpectrum expansion port” and 7MHz clock oscillator.

Is there anyone who can teach me circuit design?

**Note. If the machine is booted as "ZXSpectrum Next", the extension port is not yet available.

PiyoTaro

Re: Musical potential of the NEXT./Demonstration video existed on November20,2018 "First attempt to add FM sound to TBBl

Post by PiyoTaro » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:53 pm

PiyoTaro wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm
2. TS-FM Problem:
Last September I received a reply about the implementation of FM Sound. However, the announcement of "rejected for copyright reasons" is not found except this reply.
Alcoholics Anonymous wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:57 pm
The FM chips are too big to fit in the zx next architecture in current board's fpga - this is the reason they are no longer being considered. That doesn't mean you can't have it in a simpler architecture, like a plain 128k for example, and create a core for that.
A demonstration video already existed at the end of last year, but I did not notice.

On November 20, 2018, there is a demo video of "TSFM Player" on VictorTrucco's YouTube channel.
"FM sound for TBBlue (preliminary)" https://youtu.be/mJLFV96Tt7c
The core version looks like "2.01.12" :?

From the comment “First attempt to add FM sound to TBBlue”, it may be that the OPN core has not just been prototyped in places not related to our discussion (and “FM Sound is impossible to implement” official announcement Has not yet come out)?

---
Postscript
In this thread, I introduce a software based "JTx" core for FPGA-picoblaze CPU.
PiyoTaro wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:38 pm
PiyoTaro wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:31 am
When I posted, his Github had FMSound firmware "JTx" present.
I tried speaking to the author of the core.
Original text is Spanish

Alcoholics Anonymous

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:44 pm

That video is not of a spectrum next. It is a simple 48k core with fm added. Maybe run on a spectrum next board however :)

FuZX

Post by FuZX » Sun May 05, 2019 11:46 am

FM pattents have expired... so no longer an issue
And to optimize CPU, FM should be manipulated as logs and not in linear way (multiplications becoming simple additions)... (it's exactly what was done in the original FM hardwares...)
2 OPs FM (and probably 4 OPs) is really light for CPU... and is definitely doable by the FPGA...

edit : what could really be a synthesizer for the specnext... http://www.96khz.org/htm/fpgamusicsynth ... clone4.htm
Last edited by FuZX on Tue May 21, 2019 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PiyoTaro

Post by PiyoTaro » Sun May 05, 2019 8:48 pm

FuZX wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:46 am
FM pattents have expired... so no longer an issue
And to optimize CPU, FM should be manipulated as logs and not in linear way (multiplications becoming simple additions)... (it's exactly what was done in the original FM hardwares...)
2 OPs FM (and probably 4 OPs) is really light for CPU... and is definitely doable by the FPGA...
I think that there are more “synthesizers” in which two oscillators are synthesized with “ring modulators” than “FM modulation”. It is also included in the SID that was supposed to be adopted by TurboSound Next.
Not only synthesizers but also "wave memory" represented by "Konami SCC" are available as sound generators for Game sounds.

The "waiting time" for accessing the FM chip's registers depends on the chip-specific specification. It is published in the data sheet. Among the "OPN", in the OPN2/2C and OPNA, the latency is short because the systemclock is 8MHz class.

The implementation of FM sound to FPGA has already existed "VM2413" core which added the extend mode (of tone edit function) to YM2413 OPLL in the age of "1 Chip MSX".
And there is an authors I found at other (ZXUno) forums, who used the PicoBlaze CPU (provided as a function of SLX series FPGA) to realize the function of YM2203 OPN by software emulation. For more details, see my few notes. Also in this thread, I will also note that I received a reply that "The core team would not like to create a core with Yamaha's IP without a license", but it has not been announced as an official comment. (I understand that it's developed as a commercial product, not open source)
2019/6/21 Postscript: Mr. SMoG has deleted all the remarks in this thread, not only in this prefecture.
Last edited by PiyoTaro on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FuZX

Post by FuZX » Mon May 27, 2019 5:12 pm

PiyoTaro wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:48 pm
I think that there are more “synthesizers” in which two oscillators are synthesized with “ring modulators” than “FM modulation”. It is also included in the SID that was supposed to be adopted by TurboSound Next.
Yamaha's OPLs chips were all 2OPs FM... used in Adlib, Soundblasters and all th cards of that time, even integrated in MSX machines...
The following step came from DAC sound, once the CPUs were powerful enough...

PiyoTaro

Post by PiyoTaro » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:53 am

A post to this thread shows that "the hardware development of ZX SpectrumNext is already over", but it seems to be be only an individual opinion (and all relevant remarks he posted here have been erased.).
-Posting to the thread "TurboSound Control Interface"

A reply to me was like that, but a few days ago, I saw the word "the core development is continuing" at FB.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/specnex ... %22R%22%7D
2019/6/23:
Mike Cadwallader
Welcome. How is the future? Has the Next been delivered yet? As to technically possible, sure, assuming the FPGA has any wiggle room. In actuality, see the responses in this thread from the past :)3
And it seems that the first implementation of the "accelerator card" interface will be done in the next core update.
In that case, I hope that the "Raspberry Pi Zero" digital audio pin will be connected to the ZXSpectrumNext board without forgetting.
(There are PWM-DAC and I2S bus method. Raspberry Pi pinout: ) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry ... rnal_links
https://www.facebook.com/groups/specnex ... %22R%22%7D
2019/6/24:
Allen Albright
The rpi interface will be defined in the next core update. Not necessarily the final form but something on the way to that that you can work with. Where it ends up is really dependent on a competition between features everyone wants and available fpga space.
---

So let's review the sound cards that have been released in the world of ZXSpectrum and compatible machines.

There were many things not found in Google search, including the official site of "TurboSound".

In the future, wiki will be expanded, and 'the type of expansion bus' supported by the sound card (or the model of compatible Spectrum compatible machine), 'the IO address' where the sound chip is decoded, 'the presence or absence of ROM', etc. I want to share information.

(The article about General Sound and MOONSOUND continues.)

PiyoTaro

Post by PiyoTaro » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:57 am

PiyoTaro wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:53 am
So let's review the sound cards that have been released in the world of ZXSpectrum and compatible machines.

There were many things not found in Google search, including the official site of "TurboSound".

In the future, wiki will be expanded, and 'the type of expansion bus' supported by the sound card (or the model of compatible Spectrum compatible machine), 'the IO address' where the sound chip is decoded, 'the presence or absence of ROM', etc. I want to share information.
  • "TurboSound" sound chip: AY-3-8910/12 or YM2149
- (The article about MOONSOUND continues.)